When it comes to living a healthy lifestyle, one of most common question I get asked is, “How can I still eat healthy when I am busy”? This is a great topic of conversation because being busy is certainly the norm in our society today. Although being busy while living a healthy lifestyle can be challenging at times, it certainly can be done!
Here are some of my favorite tips for living a healthy lifestyle while being busy:
1. Plan Ahead. Meal planning has proven to be one of the best ways to stay on track with a healthy lifestyle in my own life. During busy weekdays, it is incredibly helpful to have healthy meals that are planned and prepared. Meal planning can also help save money because you will be less likely to buy things that you don’t need.
I have also provided practical tools for getting healthy during busy times, such as recipes and a meal plan in my new book, Devotions for a Healthier You. The recipes provided in my devotional are wholesome, uncomplicated, and balanced, making it easy to incorporate them into even the busiest of schedules.
2. Be Prepared. Being prepared is essential when it comes to living a healthy lifestyle when you are busy. Being prepared can be as simple as carrying a small protein packed snack with you in your purse or car. It is also important to have ready to eat snacks in your house. These two preparations can prevent unhealthy choices when you find yourself busy and hungry.
3. Choose Wisely On the Go. You don’t have to let healthy eating fall by the wayside when you are on the go, at work, or at a get-together with friends. Filling up on healthy foods before you arrive to a social gathering is one of the best ways to stay on track when you are not at home. Another great option is to pack a meal to bring with you or bring a healthy dish to pass!
4. Be Active. Being active can be fun, and it does not have to take a lot of time out of your day. Taking a thirty-minute walk or doing spurts of activity throughout the day, such as taking the stairs, will benefit your health and give you energy.
5. Get Enough Sleep. Sleep is essential to living a healthy lifestyle. It is even more important that we get proper sleep when we are busy because our bodies are generally undergoing more stress during these times and they need the proper rest to recover. Our bodies do not work the way they should and we are less likely to make smart choices when it comes to our health if we do not get enough sleep. It is generally recommend that the average adult should aim for at least seven hours of sleep each night.
6. Be Well-Balanced. Living a healthy lifestyle should be something that is not only achievable, but is also maintainable long term. The only way that this is possible is with balance. I believe that one of the most important keys to living a healthy lifestyle is moderation. Too much of anything is never a healthy thing, even if they seem like a good thing. At Dashing Dish, my mission is to encourage others to enjoy life, make wise choices, and be motivated by health.
7. Don’t Skip Meals or Snacks. When we are extremely busy, it is a common tendency to skip meals or snacks, which can create a potential problem of overeating later in the day. Eating a heavy meal at night can be very hard on our digestive systems to process just before bed. We can also severely damage our metabolism in the long run when we put our bodies through this all too common ‘feast and famine’ cycle. To prevent skipping meals, try to eat a healthy snack or meal every three to four hours.
8. Pick Healthy Options when Dining Out. When life gets busy, it may be easier to get food from a restaurant than prepare it yourself. There are some steps that you can take to make the healthier choices. For example, when ordering off a menu, look for foods that are baked or grilled instead of fried. And when possible, try to order foods that are prepared without sauces or dressings, or get them on the side so you can control how much actually goes on the food.
9. Strengthen Your Spiritual Muscles. Sometimes when we get busy, we have a tendency to get stressed and emotional, which could potentially result in emotional or mindless eating. I personally have found that there are three powerful weapons to combat emotional eating. These three things include spending time with the Lord, praise and worship, and praying the Word of God! In my book, Devotions for a Healthier You, I have included prayers based on the promises of God that are specific to building you up spiritually and emotionally. I have also included over 70 devotions that have been inspired by my personal journal entries, which are meant to encourage and inspire you in all season of life.
If you struggle with staying healthy during busy times, I hope these tips help you on your journey to health. I believe that the very best place to start when it comes to eating healthy is to take the time to nourish both our bodies and soul. By honoring God and our bodies, we can live with passion and purpose in every area of our lives.